History in Lake Chelan | Conversion of the second-floor game room back to a 12-unit luxury hotel
Currently home to BC MacDonald’s Restaurant & Pub, this building dates back to 1926 and previously operated as the Lakeview Hotel from 1943 through much of the 1980’s.
The original, 1926 construction was a non-reinforced brick building (typical of the era).
Remodeling required extensive retrofitting of the building, including a structural tie of the floor and roof diaphragm to the exterior walls.
At each new opening of the brick walls for new windows and doors, steel tubes were used to reinforce the structure. Weight loads are transferred to the floor and roof diaphragms through additional steel tubes and welded straps for the new decks that rest on the exterior of the building.
The roof required complete replacement, alongside the existing framing, to carry the new load spacing and rooftop appliances.
Skylights were installed to allow additional lighting to the second floor.
Much of the retrofit and roof reconstruction was completed during the winter months and all phases of construction were completed without disrupting operation of the first floor restaurant & pub.
The result garners acclaim as a local and destination-favorite within the renowned, lakeside town.